Sunday, January 23, 2011

Putting Life into Boxes

Sam: I’m no stranger to packing. In fact, packing and I go way back. In the past four years, I’ve lived in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, London, and North Carolina, and I’ve traveled to even more places. Since I went to college far away from home, I have to pack up all of my belongings at least twice a year.
As annoying and time consuming as it is, one of the best things about living a nomadic existence is the packing.

There’s something about taking everything that is spread out in a room and placing in boxes. It condenses everything. It makes everything organized. Everything has a place. Packing prevents clutter from building up.  No matter how chaotic or disorderly my life gets, whenever I have to pack all of my stuff, I feel a sense of calm when I stop everything in my life for a few hours to go through all of my possessions and put them in boxes.

Packing also forces me to prioritize my most important possessions. Every time I pack, I save my most important items for last so that they’re easily accessible. Right now, my toiletries, books, and computer are the sole survivors in a storm of boxes and bubble wrap. I guess they’re my “deserted island items”.
Now, as I begin the process of moving all of my belongings out of my room in preparation for a remodel, I remember just how much I love the order and calm that comes from packing.


Kassy: I hate packing.  For me, it's how much can I shove into this bag, and where can I fit all these little odds and ends?  Socks... tucked in the empty corners of the duffel.  Meds, chapstick, misplaced earrings... drop 'em in the purse.  Random scarf?  Throw it on top of the books and art supplies.  Shoes?  Er... stack 'em in the hamper (or for travelling, stick 'em in the sides of the duffel).  A calm sense of order?  No way.  Packing is visible chaos.  So, Sam and I were thinking... Could this possibly be representative of our brains and the way we process.  I definitely think it may be.  Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I love fresh starts, and packing does THAT... I don't like packing at all, but I really enjoy UNpacking... making a new place my own, and for that part to be fun, I have to have had at least a little order to the packing part (though as a graduate of the Art Gropp School of Packing (he is my stepdad) there is NO WASTE OF SPACE permitted, so my boxes have about 3/4 logical order, and then are topped off with strange odds and ends that I know don't merit their own box. And I like to be GREEN so I do things like layering the dishes in the kitchen towels. I know... freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the UNPACKING I can't stand. UNPACKING = laundry. And who likes doing that??? I travelled tons while in college, too. Travelling was the BEST part of college! AND we LOVE partner bloggers!! Welcome to the blogosphere! christy

    ReplyDelete